International Clients

Many countries either prohibit or make it very difficult for intended parents to enter into surrogacy arrangements. Since 1993, prospective international parents find Florida, with its many high-quality fertility clinics and beautiful tourist locale, an attractive place to pursue treatment and find a legal safe haven.

Florida has attracted international parents for both surrogacy and egg donation. With surrogacy, the law confirms that the child is yours from the moment of implantation. With egg donation, the law confirms that the eggs are viewed as if they came from your body. This means that your Surrogate or your Donor can never make a claim against you.

What is the process for obtaining a birth certificate and passport?

As the child is born in the United States, she or he is automatically a US citizen. Immediately at birth we petition the court to confirm parentage in your name(s) and seal any record which suggests you used a surrogate. An original birth certificate is generated with no mention of the surrogacy. Typically, we can deliver a birth certificate within 5 days of the child’s birth. Heterosexual couples will have both names on the birth certificate. Single parents will, of course, have only their name on the birth certificate. Same sex couples can elect a second parent adoption to place the non-genetic parent on the birth certificate. As you might expect, a second parent adoption will require more time as there are additional legal steps involved.

With some countries, recognition of the child requires a man and a woman be on the birth certificate. For those single men who pursue surrogacy from those countries, we will negotiate with the Surrogate to leave her name on the birth certificate until after recognition is complete.

When we have a good indication of when the birth will take place and if the parent can go to Miami, we will arrange a meeting with the Passport Offices and arrange it so they can walk out with a passport the same day. Some parents will not be in Miami or feel uncomfortable bringing their child into a public space. For those parents we know a number of passport expediting services that can move a passport application through Washington, D.C. in as little as three days total.

We know that all parents want to return to their home as soon as they can. We have some strategies to help shorten the timeline to not only get the birth certificate faster but also obtain a passport in a timely manner.

For all international parents, we will ask who you are working with in your respective country. It is imperative to have a local attorney as obtaining citizenship for your child is important and some countries have very short timelines following birth within which to apply. For international parents who do not have local counsel, we can recommend experienced attorneys who understand how to best obtain citizenship for the baby.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *